Monday, January 12, 2009

What a great food day!

Despite not having a stove, we are making it work...
  Today I ate locally-produced yogurt from Strauss Family Creamery w/ granola, leftover lentil barley soup (which was made with almost all the fresh ingredients being either organic or local or both), a FFTY apple and natural peanut butter, and vegetarian chili, again with all the yummy fresh stuff (though the beans and tomatoes were canned).  Makin' strides!  It's so nice to have real home-cooked food again, even if I didn't do much to get it there.  The food is good for my body, good for my soul (aided by eating w/ the roomies rather than alone), better for the environment than what most people eat (including myself at times), and totally delicious (even if my stomach kind of hates me for making it deal with all these legumes when I'm not really used to them...)!
  This is kind of what its all about, although I would prefer to cook something myself on the stove rather than leave an appliance on all day.  We do what we can, and try to be healthy about it in as many ways as possible.  It will be a lot easier when I can cook for real, but for now, this will do.
  Roomie Maike also pointed out that planning meals for the week ahead will help me to save time and money, and eat better at the same time.  Boy is she right!  This is going to be a must with school, so I'd better get it down in the next couple weeks while I still have some time for flexibility.
  Also, I really should stop writing in the blog right before I go to bed as I would like it to be a good writing exercise for me, but for now please be patient with the lameness of my posts and the inevitable spelling and grammar errors...

No comments:

Post a Comment