Friday, August 3, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Superfood Smoothie

I've started incorporating fruit back into my diet!  Woohoo!  Since I'm still avoiding my typical breakfast of oatmeal, I figured out another smoothie.  Most smoothie recipes I seem to find involve a banana.  Bananas are great!  I love bananas!  But I'm just not ready for the high sugar content yet, and blueberries were on sale at Trader Joe's (2lbs for $6.99!), so this one was born.

It's the same base as my fruit free smoothie, starting with homemade kefir and kombucha, and a splash of vanilla.  I also kept the cocoa and the green part, adding a tsp of Miessence Deep Green as well as 2 cups of leafy greens (this time I went with a cup of spinach and a cup of "I Love Baby Kale" mix).

I think an important part of this smoothie was the half a lemon.  Not just the JUICE of half a lemon, but I actually scooped out the whole thing.  I saw this in Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, which is a great documentary you should definitely watch, and it intrigued me, so I gave it a "whirl" here (sorry, bad blender joke).  The lemon flavor is definitely stronger than if I'd just added the juice, but not overpowering, plus there's a dash of fiber in there.

Swap out the peanut butter for coconut oil, and bam! It is VERY important to melt the coconut oil first, and add it as your last ingredient in a steady stream so that it forms an emulsion and doesn't clump up.  Coconut oil will solidify below 76 degrees Fahrenheit, which your smoothie should be!

I drank it up too fast for a photo, but will definitely take one next time!

Ingredients

    Kefir, 1 cup
    Kombucha (plain), 1/4 cup
    Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp
    Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
    Blueberries, fresh, 1 cup
    Insides of 1/2 a lemon (just scoop it out with a spoon)
    Your choice of green superfood powder (I use Miessence Deep Green), 1 serving
    Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened, 1 tbsp
    Leafy greens like baby spinach/kale, 2 cups
    Ice cubes, 4-6 (optional)
    Coconut Oil, melted, 1 tbsp
     

Directions

Put all ingredients except for ice cubes and coconut oil into blender and mix until greens are well incorporated. If you want a thicker, more milkshake-like smoothie, add ice and blend to your desired consistency. While blender is on, add melted coconut oil in a slow steady stream and blend for another 5 seconds or so.




Nutritional Info

  • Servings Per Recipe: 1
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 379.0
  • Total Fat: 17.2 g
  • Cholesterol: 10.0 mg
  • Sodium: 225.7 mg
  • Total Carbs: 41.3 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 8.8 g
  • Protein: 19.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment